Tuesday, February 10, 2009

#72

LEARN TO HIT A 3-POINT SHOT

I made plans to go practice throwing a 3-point shot today. After talking to my 'coach', I figured a good goal wasn't just to hit a 3-point shot but to actually hit a certain percentage. Coach Mc and one of the boys' basketball coaches today said that 2 or 3 out of 10 was a reasonable goal for a beginner.

I really didn't get to practice during the week since I don't have access to a basketball net...and I didn't know how far away the three point line was. Google probably could have helped me on that one come to think of it. Anyhow, I did practice the technique. Imagine how silly I looked squatting and throwing my hands in the air as if I were shooting a basketball ... but NOT. The thought of seeing someone else doing that makes me chuckle a little so hopefully I could give others a little laugh at my expense. I honestly hadn't thought of that until just now. HA

Coach Mc had me start off in front of the free throw line again (probably just for a little bit of confidence). It wasn't long (maybe a handful of shots) before I was trying for the three. All I needed was a little encouragement and some guidance. Interestingly enough I found myself freely asking her to watch a particular movement during my shot because I didn't feel comfortable. It is hard to describe but I felt more willing to articulate what I was uncomfortable about. For instance, my motion did not feel right when I was trying to position myself for the shot. I was bending my knees and moving the ball in such an awkward fashion that I wound up hesitating and not taking the shot.

This may not seem like much but for me a little light bulb went on. I needed to be able to determine what was not feeling right and tell Coach what it was. Once I did that, she was able to observe me and give me tips on how to correct myself. I MADE MY GOAL! She counted three shots made in ten attempts. The ones that made it in were great. Two of them were "nothing but net". The other one bounced a little on the rim and finally went in. Coach was so excited. She even made an announcement to everyone else in the gym. :) No one else was as excited as we were though.

It is fascinating to me how even in little things like this that communication is so crucial to success. She could have watched me for awhile and tried to make suggestions. Things did not click with me though until I let her know where I was having trouble. Once we focused on that, everything else started to fall into place. I am slightly disappointed though. Those shots were made right before time ran out and we had to leave. What is even worse (in some respects anyway) is that I didn't even have my camera because I wasn't anticipating making my goal today.

I guess I should never underestimate myself. Success is so close sometimes that we do not even realize it.

Thinking about it now... how many times have I quit on something in my life that was so close to being a success? Hmm... Definitely something to keep in mind.

TASK #72....COMPLETED 2/10

2 comments:

  1. There is a really good life lesson in this story about open, honest communication between people....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. It's crazy that it was something as simple as this that can make you (or me, specifically) realize how productive it is to be completely honest and open. Pretty cool. It just gives credence to my list being about personal growth not just trying silly things.

    ReplyDelete