Wednesday, February 11, 2009

#46

DONATE BLOOD
In preparation for this task, I went to see our volunteer center coordinator. She had a nice little sheet that gave me some tips for keeping my iron level high enough to donate blood (i.e. cook in a cast iron skillet, combine foods with Vitamin C and iron). Vitamin C actually helps with the absorption of iron. The tips are especially helpful for females. Drinking lots of water also helps your blood flow easier so I have been trying to drink much more than I usually do.

I showed up a little early to get checked in and saw a few of my students. One girl, "Leana", was working the blood drive since she is part of the volunteer center. My students already knew how nervous I was about donating blood. It wasn't the needle that scared me. It was just the recollection of a bad memory from when I was a kid.

My mom used to give blood pretty frequently. There was only ONE time where she got light headed and almost passed out in the parking lot after giving blood. From that point on, I was hesitant about donating blood. The one thing that has plagued me is the thought that my blood is in high demand. My blood type is O negative and is considered the universal donor. Basically, anyone can receive my blood; however, I can only receive my same blood type. People with O positive would not even be a match for me because they have the Rh factor. Since my blood does not have the Rh factor, it would see the blood that DOES have the Rh factor as a foreign body and try to "attack" it. The same thing occurred when I was pregnant with both of my children. There is a shot that is necessary if this is the case but that is not part of this story.

Before getting in a chair to donate, I had to get my finger pricked to check my iron level (which turned out to be okay) and then answer a series of questions. I completely understand the reason for asking the questions but they are crazy. (i.e. have you ever paid someone for sex or drugs? umm... NO!) Everything checked out fine and since I am a teacher, I was moved to the front of the line.

I sat with Seth, a funny guy who works with the Red Cross. "Leana" told him it was my first time and he said, "Me, too." ... That part wasn't so funny. :) One of my horrible habits is talking ALOT when I'm nervous. AND I laugh alot when I'm nervous. I don't remember half of what I told Seth but I know that I was rambling the entire time. He didn't seem too freaked out. He informed me of every step he was taking and was super gentle when he finally stuck the needle in. "Leana" took pictures and a video for me. About twenty minutes later, another guy, David, came and finished me up.


It was a breeze. Even better was the fact that I got juice AND Nutter Butter cookies when I was done. I would DEFINITELY do it again. Hopefully, I will get Seth in April when I take advantage of the opportunity to save a life.


There is one thing that keeps sticking out in my mind that happened while waiting to donate blood as well.

"Leana" found me after I left the little cubicle for the crazy questionnaire. While we waited to get an open seat, "Leana" mentioned one of the guys working the blood drive was a little on the creepy side. I thought "What a shame. He's pretty hot." It made me think about a devotional that a friend of mine sent to me today. Interesting (but not surprising) how the timing was so perfect. It said in regards to choosing a mate: "Part of the problem is that so often our decision is based only on physical attraction and we neglect the need for shared beliefs and values". In all honesty, this has happened to me more times than I would care to admit. Men that I have been attracted to from the very beginning were FAR from the man I would want to share my life with. The devotional
went on to remind the reader that "the divorce rates were lower [when parents arranged marriages] because the match was made on the basis of compatibility - similar values and shared beliefs." This seems to go right along with the belief that the best relationships come out of friendships first. While I feel physical attraction is important, I have come to realize that it is something that can develop with the attraction to the person's heart.

It is so amazing how God is finding little ways to open my eyes to things that are completely irrelevant to the situations I am in. I wonder what lesson I'm going to learn in the next task.

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying 'This is the way; walk in it.'" ~Isaiah 30:21


TASK #46...COMPLETED 2/11

No comments:

Post a Comment