Thursday, February 26, 2009

#66

SOLVE A RUBIK'S CUBE

I don't remember when I was first introduced to the Rubik's Cube. I do remember being extremely frustrating by the toy. Now, I realize that I did not have a methodology to solving the cube. It was my hope that a series of random moves would solve the cube. Silly girl... :)
Last year, the Rubik's cube regained its popularity. Instead of passing notes about the latest scandal, students were quietly teaching each other how to solve the cube. It did not take long before my competitive side kicked in and I wanted to solve it as well. While several methods exist for solving the cube, it was suggested that I try to solve it in layers. The first layer is about as far as I could get on my own ability. After that, I gave up...


Here we are again... a year later and I figured this would be a good task to add to my list. It took several weeks (between some breaks, of course) to remember how I got the first layer and then learn/memorize the algorithms for the last two layers. I looked at a TON of YouTube videos but still struggled. It was up to a few of my students (again) to teach me the algorithms. Oddly, one student in each of my college prep classes took it upon himself to be the Rubik's guru. I enjoyed learning this way much more than the videos because I could interact with my 'teacher'. Most of my thought processes occur verbally (anyone who knows me can attest to that) so I wanted to work through the algorithms in front of each 'teacher' and be able to ask questions to clarify. As it turns out, they were able to correct mistakes I was making that a video would never be able to help with.


It may have started as just memorization techniques but now I am starting to work backward and realize why the algorithms work.


Mostly, it is just about having the patience to follow through with something I initially perceive as difficult. It is about not quitting but just taking breaks when necessary (to save my sanity). Now... it is about trying to see how fast I can solve it because my wonderful friend, Lauren, is feeling a little competitive about it now.


This will be fun. ;)


TASK #66...COMPLETED 2/26

No comments:

Post a Comment