Sunday, June 28, 2009

#7 and #90

DIVE OFF A DIVING BOARD AND DO A FRONT FLIP INTO A POOL

I'll be honest with you (like I haven't spilled my guts already on this blog). I'm a chicken ... and lame. Who is afraid of diving off of a diving board? Really?!

I have no idea when the shift happened. At some point, we change from children to adults and stop doing silly things just for the joy of it. We start becoming afraid of things that make no sense to be afraid of.

I went to a birthday party with the kids today for a 5-year old little girl I've known since ... well, since her mom was pregnant with her. We went through the entire party (swimming, pinata, flip flop decorating, cake and presents) before her mom said, "Well, Ana. When are we going to do this?"


There is no time like the present and ... (lean in a little. there you go. we're almost half way done with the year and i'm not even half way done with my list so i'm motivated by the possibility of failure).

Between my children and another little girl who was there (an 8-yr old), I got a couple of lessons on flips and guitars (I think my son made that one up). How many of these posts have been taking place with children teaching me something? Hmmm...

The dive wasn't so bad. I was a teeny tiny bit nervous about being up and out of the water but dove in. Had it been a test I probably would have passed with flying colors.

The flip was a little different. I mean, I've actually executed a good dive in my life. I have NEVER had the guts to try a flip. Not that today's flip was any good BUT that's not what the list is about right? I got a little nervous and took up the 8-year old's suggestion of having her show me (we'll pretend I wasn't procrastinating). I finally did it. I held my nose (which I have since been advised was NOT the best way to execute the flip) and went for it. It wasn't so bad. I landed mostly on my back but it didn't sting. The worst part was that my bottoms fell off. Not completely down around my ankles but enough that if one of the kids had their goggles on under the water they would potentially need counseling... for life!

Just to make sure I could actually do it again and not just get over my fear long enough for one time, I went up on the board again to dive AND do the flip. Sure enough my freaking bottoms fell again! Maybe my list next year will include "Do a front flip into a pool without my bottoms falling off". Yeah. I think that's a good one to add.


TASK #7 AND #90 ... COMPLETED 6/28

No comments:

Post a Comment