Sunday, June 14, 2009

#10

DO SOMETHING KIND FOR A COMPLETE STRANGER

Lauren, Emily and I signed up for a build day through our church at a Habitat for Humanity home close by. Emily and I had never actually worked on anything like this before and we were both a little anxious about it. We were informed that the day was going to include putting up siding and minor interior framework.


As the girls and I started walking up, we noticed we were the only women there. Umm.... awkward. Talk about elevating our anxiety level. All of the guys were friendly and got more comfortable with us as the day went on.

Turns out the interior framework was caulking the exterior walls. I need to do some caulking around my house so I was excited to try it out first on someone else's home. hahaha... just kidding. but not really. I did fine. Lewis, who was in charge that day, told us that we did an "exemplary job on the corners." :)

The homeowners were there (and the wife's cousin showed up later) to help. I don't know whether or not the families are supposed to be at the build days and help but I loved to see them spending time interacting with all the volunteers that day.

Barry, one of the crew leaders, let Emily and I use the circular saw to cut some siding and pre-drill holes so the guys doing the siding had an easier time nailing the siding to the concrete.

It was a great experience. If I don't get to go to another build day for this house, I will DEFINITELY be doing it for another project.


TASK #10 ... COMPLETED 6/13

No comments:

Post a Comment