Saturday, August 22, 2009

#58

SHOOT THE HOOCH

So we were running a little short on time for tubing down the Chattahoochee River. J and I took the kids. We thought it was a great day for tubing ... and so did everyone else. There were parts where the river was peaceful and we had room to breathe. I would say that it was quiet but Katy and Ty were yakking the WHOLE time (what can I say? they come by it honestly).

I'm sitting here THREE MONTHS after the fact and keep thinking about one thing. At some point, we were slightly separated from each other (not far, but not clinging onto each others tubes). The kids were behind us a bit so I don't know exactly what happened but I remember turning around to see Tyler out of his tube. His flip flop off and Katy starting to drift further away. I could see that Ty was scared and my heart began to pulse a little quicker than normal. He could swim but the water wasn't still and people were bumping into him. SERIOUSLY?!

It's not hard to see a 5 year old in the water. At least a handful of people bumped into Tyler and me, all the while Katy is floating further down stream. What seemed like forever was only a matter of moments. I heard Katy calling for me and shouted back "Grab onto a rock!". I looked at J who was trying to figure out how to help and just shouted "Get the girl." hahaha...

I was able to retrieve Tyler but the flip flop was long gone. Katy held onto a rock not far down the river until J got to her. She was so brave!

From that point, we were interlocked the rest of the way down the river with no major trauma to be heard of. That is of course until I get a therapy bill 10 years from now.



TASK #58 ... COMPLETED 8/22

No comments:

Post a Comment