Sunday, August 16, 2009

#11

GO TO A PLAY

Do you ever have those moments when you look back at things that you enjoyed as a kid and think "WOW. My parents let me watch that?!" or "What on earth was I thinking?"

I've had moments like that when I watched Grease. I mean... look at the lyrics to the song 'Greased Lightning'.



I went with Kristin to see Grease at the Fabulous Fox Theatre and found myself conflicted at times. Grease was one of my favorite movies growing up. Mostly, I had a difficult time with the ending.



This is the way I see it...

Danny and Sandy meet the summer before. They have no preconceived notions about the clique that either one may be a part of. There are no labels on each of them. They meet, hang out together and probably even like each other.



At the risk of seeming like a pansy, Danny talks about this girl he really liked as though she meant nothing to him at all. Realizes that she is now attending the same school where he goes. THEN, ignores her. Again, at the risk of being made fun of by his friends. Umm... What a ___?!?!



To top it off... By the end of the movie, Sandy has changed everything about herself just so she can please him (don't forget about Danny's crazy stint as a jock in order to get her). What are we saying here?! How long could that facade actually last?! Is it going to be 20 years down the road when she finally says, 'Danny, I never liked any of this stuff'?



It just makes me think about alot of people I see. Maybe it's because I've already been through a time when I was trying to be someone I wasn't, thinking I was happy (or eventually would be) and then realizing ultimately that I was a hollow shell of the woman I used to be. Our youth is trained (almost brainwashed) into believing they aren't complete until they are in a relationship. How about being complete before you ever enter a relationship!?! THAT will land you in a relationship that could stand the test of time. Don't you think you deserve that?


TASK #11 ... COMPLETED 8/16

No comments:

Post a Comment