Thursday, July 2, 2009

#67

PAINT A PICTURE

Before picking up the kids from their grandparents today, I tried to make my funky cake (#12 on the list). I poured the Jell-O into what would eventually be the pool and the pool had a leak. Usually, I would be completely frustrated. At having to start over. At having to purchase cake mix and Jell-O again. At having failed. Not this morning. Maybe that patience I've been praying for is finally kicking in. Lord knows I've had plenty of opportunity to practice being patient.


So, I cleaned up the mess (which fortunately was contained onto the curved plate where the cake sat) and decided to paint a picture. When my mom was visiting back in May, she bought me an "Acrylic Painting for Dummies" kit from Wallie World (aka Wal-Mart). It was so calming to paint. Even though this picture isn't perfect (by my standards anyway), I really enjoyed the quiet mindless time. Now, I just have to get over the fact that these aren't perfect circles. Darn this OCD...

My kids saw the picture when they got home from their Mema and Papa's house and my little girl loved it. She wanted to paint a picture of her own. And after my little boy played on the keyboard for a little bit, he joined in as well. Such awesome teachable moments. He couldn't find the green paint so we mixed a couple of colors together and ... VOILA! green. We experimented a little more and learned:


red + blue = purple
red + yellow = orange
yellow + blue = green
red + white = pink



It was awesome. When we were making green, I started out with blue and then added yellow. We didn't quite get the color we wanted so I asked him, "what do we do?" He enthusiastically replied, "Add more yellow!" This is what learning should look like.



TASK #67 ... COMPLETED 7/2

2 comments:

  1. YES that is what learning should look like!!! I totally agree! from one teacher to another. :)

    ReplyDelete