Wednesday, July 1, 2009

#62

LEARN TO SAY ______ IN SPANISH (TBD)

It was back in April when I was told that English just isn't good at conveying meaning sometimes. The example went something like this:

buona notte bella - Italian
boa noite linda - Portuguese
Buenas noches bella - Spanish
Good night beautiful - English

If you've ever heard someone speak the other three languages (even better to have heard those phrases exactly), you may have melted a little bit. I know I do. There's just something choppy and blunt about English while other languages just seem to roll off the tongue and send shivers up your spine.

I spent three years in high school taking Spanish. I remember a good bit and can decipher things still if I can pick out the key words and figure out the context. On a daily basis, you will hear me say "no bueno". A student of mine taught me some things last school year but none of them really seemed worthy of checking off my list.

So what finally worked? "Te amo con todo mi corazón." I love you with all of my heart.

I don't know that it was necessarily this particular phrase that seemed worthy as much as that conversation back in April. The one problem with all this is that I know I will need a ton of practice in order to make this phrase sound as romantic as someone who speaks Spanish well. I guess I better get started.


TASK #62 ... COMPLETED 7/1

No comments:

Post a Comment