Wednesday, March 18, 2009

#5

RIDE A MOTORCYCLE

This is one of the things on my list that made me extremely nervous. Growing up, I was told REPEATEDLY that I was never to get on a motorcycle. They weren't motorcycles. They were donor-cycles. And they weren't safe. While still intrigued, I was always too scared to try it. The limited access to one helped with staying away.

Both my stepdad and my father-in-law have a motorcycle now. My MOM even got her license within the last few years. She said, "Just in case we're riding somewhere and I need to get us back home." Riiiiight, Mom! ;)

On March 6th, a friend and her husband were having a little get together at their house. I was not there long before:

Stanley: "I hear you have to ride a motorcycle."
me: "Yeah. It's one of my 100 things."
Stanley: "Well, what are we waiting for?"
me (with my heart in my stomach and hands out in a defensive position): "Whoa. Wait. I have to mentally prepare for this."

That didn't seem to phase Stanley (or Kristen, who had a big grin on her face). It was one of those moments that seemed to take forever. Something in me - or Someone - said, "Do it."

I have never considered myself spontaneous. Making decisions has often become so painstakingly difficult that I get "paralysis of analysis". Instead of weighing all of my options and choosing the best course of action, I think SO much and become so afraid of making the wrong decision that I don't make one at all.

There is a quote that has come to mind so frequently as of late that I felt the need to post it here.

"There came a time when the risk to remain in the bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin

WOW! I have remained "in the bud" for thirty years. Perhaps that is why one of my dreams as a kid was to be an action hero (think Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider). I wanted to be what I didn't think I was capable of.

Anyhow, let's get back to the motorcycle ride. :)

Armed with my helmet and some prayers, I got on the back of the motorcycle with Stanley. He just took me for a short ride. The area around his and Kristen's house is filled with beautiful trees and homes. It was so peaceful but... I was on the back of a motorcycle.

IT
WAS
AWESOME!

Every now and then, we would hit a long straight strip of road and Stanley would go a bit faster. I was nervous the first time but felt an amazing rush. Each time after that, I wanted to tell him to go faster but was afraid I would actually get what I wished for. :)

Every time I see a motorcycle now, I want to get on one. It felt pretty powerful and I wasn't even driving it. Now, I think how amazing the experience was besides the ride.

I took the chance despite the risk.
I took the chance despite some deeply ingrained and debilitating fears.
But, I took back the power I had given to my fears.
And the reward was more than worth it. Imagine that!

I leave you with some great quotes about taking risks...

"The most important thing is this: To be ready at any moment to give up what you are for what you might become." ~ W.E.B. Du Bois

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic."
~ Author Unknown

"Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise."
~Author Unknown

"Take into account that great love and great accomplishments involve great risks."
~ H. Jackson Browne, Jr. "Life's Little Instruction Book"

TASK #5...COMPLETED 3/6

No comments:

Post a Comment